Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Adapted from a recipe in The Essential Rice Cookbook. Nice flavor, good Indian food for people who don't like curry (although I don't know why one would dislike curry). Meat was extremely tender and juicy. PS: if you're one of those like me who doesn't like to measure, go easy on the lemon juice so that you don't overpower the saffron.
- 2 lbs pork loin, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 inches piece gingerroot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala (an Indian spice, you can probably find it with the spices at the store)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 ounces butter, melted
- 8 ounces plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread, soaked in
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat flour (barley, wheat, etc)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix the pork in a bowl with the ginger, garlic, garam masala, chili powder, tumeric, chillies, mint and coriander. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, put the sliced onion in a colander, sprinkle with salt to draw liquid out of the onions. Discard liquid, rinse onions and pat dry.
- Heat oil and butter in a dutch oven, then fry onions until golden brown (about 10 minutes). Remove onions and drain. Pour off and reserve all but about 2 tbsp of the butter and oil.
- Fry the pork in the dutch oven until well browned. Add cooked onions and yogurt and cook on low for 40 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, boil enough water to cover rice. Add rice, return to the boil, and cook 5 minutes.
- Drain rice, spread on top of onions and pork in dutch oven. Drizzle with lemon juice, saffron/milk mixture, and the leftover butter and oil.
- Preheat the oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Make a dough by adding a little water to the flour and 1 tsp salt. Roll dough into a long, thin sausage shape, and press along the top rim of the dutch oven. When the lid is placed on this dough, it will form a seal between the lid and base of the dutch oven.
- Cook sealed dutch oven on high heat for 5 minutes before transferring to oven. Bake in oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, break dough seal and enjoy.