1/1 Photo of Pork Vindaloo
1 hr 20 mins
This is absolutely delicious and goes well with basmati rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs pork shoulder butt, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1Mix together the flour, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, salt, pepper and cloves.
- 2Place the pork in a large bowl and sprinkle with half of the spice mixture, tossing well to coat.
- 3In a large heavy saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat.
- 4Brown the pork in batches and add more oil if necessary.
- 5Transfer to a plate.
- 6Add the remaining oil to the pan and reduce the heat to medium.
- 7Add the remaining spice mixture, onions, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, the ginger, mustard and red pepper flakes.
- 8Cook, stirring, until the onions are softened, about 6 minutes.
- 9Pour in the chicken stock and remaining vinegar.
- 10Bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any brown bits.
- 11Return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan and add the bay leaves.
- 12Reduce the heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- 13Uncover and simmer until the pork is tender and the sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 14Discard the bay leaves.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Vindaloo
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 728.5
- Calories from Fat 396
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 229.0 mg
- Sodium 477.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 67.7 g