1 hr 15 mins
Simon Rimmer's recipe, layering up all the ingredients and serving the meat separately gives it a wonderful taste, don't be put off by the ingredient list it is any easy recipe to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 kg lamb, cut into 11/2 in chunks
- 6 red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 ounces cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 100 g natural yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 250 g biryani rice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 25 g butter
- 2 bay leaves, fresh if possible
- 1 lime, juice of
- 50 ml rose water
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 pinch saffron, dissolved in
- 50 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons medium curry sauce
- 1wash and soak the rice for 30 mins then drain.
- 2mix the marinade ingredients together and rub into the lamb chunks, chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- 3allow lamb to get to room temperature then thread onto wooden skewers.
- 4make a paste of the chillies and nuts in a blender then fry in a little oil gently for 5 minutes.
- 5add the mushrooms, garlic, ginger, yoghurt, garam masala and seasoning. Fry gently for 5 minutes.
- 6in a separate pan fry the rice in a little vegetable oil for about 3 minutes Add just enough water to cover, season with salt and pepper and add the turmeric and cook until tender, about 30 minutes lay out on a tray to dry a little.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F, fry the onion until golden and crisp.
- 8grease either individual ovenproof dishes or one large one with butter and sit the bay leaves on the bottom. Now layer up the rice, mushroom mix, onion and a splash of the lime juice and rosewater.
- 9repeat and then pour over the saffron rice. cover with aluminum foil and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- 10When the biryani is done, grill the lamb for about 4 mins, turning regularly and basting with melted butter mixed with the lemon juice.
- 11serve the lamb resting on the rice sprinkled with the mint and drizzled with curry sauce if liked ( ready bought good curry sauce is ideal).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Posh Lamb Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1193.7
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 283.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: