This is a vegetarian version of the traditional Indian dish Chicken tikka masala. Seitan, cubed tofu, or paneer can be substituted for quorn.
- 2 cups Quorn tenders
- 2 tablespoons tikka paste
- 6 ounces plain fat-free yogurt
- Pam cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons low-fat vanilla soymilk
- Defrost quorn tenders in the microwave for about a minute.
- Mix quorn with yogurt and tikka paste and marinate in the refrigerator for 1-6 hours.
- Take tenders out of marinade,(keep the remaining marinade, as you will need it later), and bake on cookie sheet until some of the yogurt bakes away (do not over cook tenders, or they will be dry).
- At medium temperature, heat baking spray in sauté pan.
- When the pan is hot, add the onion and pepper.
- Sauté for 1-3 minutes, then add the spice (with garlic powder, curry, graham masala, ginger powder, vinegar, grated ginger, soy sauce, diced garlic, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and salt) mixture.
- Stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine 1 tbsp lukewarm water with the yogurt marinade that was kept aside earlier.
- Slowly add this mixture to the pan, letting about half of the liquid evaporate.
- Add the tomato puree and stir briefly.
- Add the silk and quorn tenders (or other chicken substitute pieces) and cover and simmer on low heat, for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Salt and pepper to taste.