Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request for my Sister. You will need a 10 inch springform pan for this recipe
Make and share this Samosa Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 10 cups cooked cubed potatoes, 1/2 inch
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- EGG WASH: Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl.
- In a food processor, process the flour, butter, and salt until the dough forms a soft ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. This dough will be moist and softer than most pastry.
- In a large saute pan, heat the oil and add onions, ginger, and garlic. Saute until onions are golden.
- Add the potatoes, and saute for a few minutes more.
- Add the spices and stir until mixed in well with the potato mixture.
- Add the cilantro, lemon juice, and peas, stirring well. Remove from heat.
- Leave about a third of the dough for the top crust. Roll out remaining dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Line the springform pan with the dough, letting in hang over the top about 1/2 an inch.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Pour in the filling and press down well.
- Roll out the reserved dough, place over the pan, trim pastry and crimp edges sealing well. Brush with remaining egg wash.
- Bake in oven for about 1 hour, until golden and heated through. Best made a day ahead and reheated at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with Raita.
This pie is amazing. I experimented on my partner first because I wanted to make samosas for a dinner party but realized it would be too much work. I found out This is the perfect alternative to the real thing! Plus making the dough in the food processor was genius. I didn't time it but I think it took less than 2 minutes for the dough. Awesome!
This is a lovely pie! I served it with Onion Bhajees (Onion Bhajees), yogurt, and various chutneys and relishes. Everyone in the house loved it. Thanks!!
Sorry we didn't really care for this, it was just too much potato.