Cook1 hr 10 mins
One of my favorite recipes from the Australian grocery cookbook-magazine, Hot & Spicy Cooking. Delicious! I serve this over hot cooked basmati or jasmine rice.
- 3 lbs chicken (size 15)
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (from the first squeezing of the grated or desiccated coconut)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut
- Cut chicken into serviing pieces. Rinse and pat dry with peper towels.
- Heat ghee in large frying pan, add chicken and fry until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add spices, garlic and onion and fry until onion has softened, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, coconut milk, stock and desiccated coconut, mix well and bring to the boil.
- Place lid on pan, lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is almost tender.
- Uncover pan and simmer 10 more minutes or until sauce is thick and dry.