If you are a lover of Indian food, then this is a recipe that you will really enjoy, this recipe is one of my all time favorite Indian dishes! Of coarse all ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. It is very simple to make and even easier if you prepare the masala a day in advance to save time. Garam masala spice and coconut milk can be found in the Indian section of any major supermarket. Serve this over basmati rice. You will love this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala, spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not low-fat or fat-free yogurt)
- 1To make the masala: heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat.
- 2Add in onions and saute for about 20 minutes until deep golden brown.
- 3Add in garlic and all the spices; stir for about 1 minute; cool to lukewarm.
- 4Puree the tomatoes with juice and the yogurt in a processor until ALMOST smooth.
- 5Add in the onion mixture and puree just enough to combine.
- 6Season the masala with salt and pepper.
- 7At this point you can cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 8To make the shrimp: heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- 9Add in shrimp and saute until partially cooked (about 2 minutes).
- 10Stir in coconut milk, cilantro, green onions, lemon juice and prepared marsala; simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp is opaque in the center, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 11Season with salt and pepper.
- 12Serve over basmati rice.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp With Spicy Masala
Serving Size: 1 (489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.5
- Calories from Fat 249
- Total Fat 27.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 293.3 mg
- Sodium 621.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 43.3 g