Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are a lover of Indian food, then this is a recipe that you will really enjoy, this recipe is one of my all time favorite Indian dishes! Of coarse all ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste. It is very simple to make and even easier if you prepare the masala a day in advance to save time. Garam masala spice and coconut milk can be found in the Indian section of any major supermarket. Serve this over basmati rice. You will love this!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala, spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup plain yogurt (not low-fat or fat-free yogurt)
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 (13 ounce) can coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- To make the masala: heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat.
- Add in onions and saute for about 20 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Add in garlic and all the spices; stir for about 1 minute; cool to lukewarm.
- Puree the tomatoes with juice and the yogurt in a processor until ALMOST smooth.
- Add in the onion mixture and puree just enough to combine.
- Season the masala with salt and pepper.
- At this point you can cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the shrimp: heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in shrimp and saute until partially cooked (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in coconut milk, cilantro, green onions, lemon juice and prepared marsala; simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp is opaque in the center, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over basmati rice.