delicious dahl ;) Spices can be increased quite a bit if you wish to do so! I've posted them to make a VERY MILD dahl..
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup split white gram (urad dal)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow moong dal (moong dal)
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil (masoor dal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon indian chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped,to serve
- plain yogurt, to serve
- Take your water and cook the yellow split peas, split white gram, yellow moong dal, and red lentils along with the ginger and salt until they are soft, approximately 30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, heat your oil and add the cumin seeds-as the seeds begin to splutter, add the minced garlic and tomatoes and sauté for a few minutes just they begin to cook.
- Next, add the salt and other spices and thoroughly combine.
- Then, take the beans (including the water you cooked them in) and add them to the saucepan.
- Cook for 3 minutes, and serve.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and a spoonful of yogurt if you choose to.
- Can also serve with your choice of breads as well.