1/3 Photos of Spiced Ruby and Emerald Indian Pepper Relish - Chutney
1 hr 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
This Anglo-Indian recipe is more a relish than a chutney, but it can be used like a chutney in cooking, as well as a condiment. A real "must" in this recipe are the Nigella Seeds, also known as Black Onion Seeds - these give the Relish/Chutney an authentic Indian flavour, as well as making it very special. It is delicious with all types of cheese boards, cold cuts and meat platters, burgers, sausages, curries and also when used in sandwiches. My daughter loves this in toasted cheese sandwiches! Or, give a jar as a gift as I often do! I couldn't resist giving it a "magical" name, especially as India is famous for its Rubies and Emeralds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 green peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 red peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 lb onion, skinned and roughly chopped
- 1 lb tomato, roughly diced
- 1 lb cooking apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 lb demerara sugar or 3/4 lb brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons nigella seeds, black onion seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground green peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 pint malt vinegar
- 1Place all the prepared vegetables and fruit into a large preserving pan.
- 2Add the spices, sugar and vinegar and give them all a good stir.
- 3Bring them all to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until everything is soft; but make sure that the peppers still retain their shape. (Also make sure that the liquids have reduced and the relish is thick and holds together well).
- 4Remove from the heat, pot and cover straight away.
- 5Label and store in a cool, dry and dark place for up to 1 year.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Ruby and Emerald Indian Pepper Relish - Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (2784 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.6
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 22.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 146.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 126.8 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: