Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The potatoes in this recipe take on the spicy flavours beautifully - the perfect veggie supper. Serve with yogurt and nan bread if you wish.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 carrots, thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced
- 14 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons medium curry paste or 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ounces red lentils
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
- Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in most of the cilantro, season and heat for a minute or so.
- Top with yogurt and the rest of the cilantro. Serve with naan bread.
The advantages of this casserole are that it is hearty, healthy, and yields a lot. However, we really didn't care for it that much. I made on the stovetop in the Dutch oven. We found it took about 3 times the amount of time to get it to the right consistency. Perhaps I should have initially turned the heat up higher, but I didn't want to scorch it. I used hot curry powder, which wasn't too hot in the overall dish. The recipe didn't state when to put the tomatoes in, so we put it in at the stage we added the lentils and other ingredients.
My stove top was not working so I had to improvise. I put everything into a casserole and used the slow cook feature on my oven. After 3 hours this was perfect. I used yellow curry paste and chicken broth. Thanks for the recipe.