Spinach and chickpeas are a popular combination, and this one has an Indian twist. I love this as a side-dish with Fairy Nuff's Indian Butter Chicken
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons medium indian curry paste
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 lb potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 lb frozen leaf spinach, thawed
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 8 ounces paneer cheese, cubed (can substitute halloumi cheese)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and then add the garlic and onion.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the curry paste and mustard seeds, stir to mix, and cook a further minute.
- Add the potatoes with 2 cups water, bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for around 20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender and most of the water has evaporated - it is a good idea to stir occasionally.
- While the potatoes are cooking, press as much liquid as possible out of the spinach through a sieve, then chop roughly.
- Add the chickpeas and spinach to the potato mixture.
- Cook for a further five minutes, until the potatoes are tender, stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- It may be necessary to add a splash more water, but take care the mixture does not become too wet.
- Stir in the paneer cheese and lime juice, and heat through gently.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve garnished with chopped cilantro.