1/1 Photo of Tarka Dal
1 hr 30 mins
A recipe given to me by a workmate. A good vegetarian dish. The lentils need to soak for 30 minutes prior to cooking- so soak them and then move on with recipe preparation (If you dont have ghee- use some more vege oil in preference to butter)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups channa split lentils or 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, finely ground (cashew meal)
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 45 g ghee
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander (as garnish)
- 1Rinse lentils in a strainer using cold water. Pick-over and discard any bad looking lentils. Then place them in a bowl and cover with cold water to soak for half an hour.Drain in the strainer and set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a large frypan over a medium heat. Add half the mustard seeds and half the cumin seeds. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes until they start popping.
- 3Add the garlic, ginger, curry leaves and half the onion. Stir until soft- about 8 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato, cashews, turmeric, garam marsala, ground chilli, ground coriander and the vegetable stock. Stir occasionally until thick- roughly 5 minutes.
- 5Add lentils and enough water to cover the lentils (about 1.5 litres). Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally until the lentils are cooked through and tender - about 1/2 hour.
- 6In a seperate pan- heat the ghee and add the remaining spices. Stir for a couple of minutes, until fragrant. Add the remaining onion and stir until the onion is golden.
- 7Combine the onion mix with the lentil mix.
- 8Add the cream bring to the boil.
- 9Season with salt and pepper.
- 10To serve sprinkle chopped coriander over the top.
Nutritional Facts for Tarka Dal
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.4
- Calories from Fat 354
- Total Fat 39.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.9 mg
- Sodium 32.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: