From the "Weekend" magazine. They say that once you try this pretty soup you will never buy canned tomato soup again!
- Preheat oven to 220.
- Brush a tablespoons.
- of oil over the roasting pan.
- Put in tomatoes, cut-side up.
- Tuck in onion wedges and garlic.
- Scatter the lemon grass and sprinkle with sugar.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the remaining oil over this.
- Roast for 50 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes.
- In a blender/food processor, liquidise the contents of pan, scraping the bottom, together with the stock.
- Rub through a sieve to remove all the bits.
- Taste and season if necessary.
- For vegetarian use the vegetable stock.
This is one of my families favorites. I use the tomatoes that we can from the garden, and it does not need straining.
It was very good. I added 100 gr of tomato concentrate to make it a bit thicker.
We thought it was great, and definately a change as far as a tomato soup. The Lemongrass definately came out and flavored it wonderfully. Although, I'd recommend slightly less than 3 stalks.