1 hr 10 mins
From "Tyler's Ultimate," episode "Ultimate Indian Dinner." Fresh curry leaves (or frozen) may be found in Indian, Pakistani or Asian markets. Use fresh, rather than dried, bay leaves if you can find them. Serve with basmati rice; add salt and a couple of thick slices of fresh ginger to the water while steaming the rice for added flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 thai bird chili pepper, cut in half
- 10 curry leaves (if frozen, thaw and pat dry first)
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 5 large fresh tomatoes, cored and cut in large chunks
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain yogurt
- 1Start heating vegetable oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Meanwhile, in a spice mill, combine coriander, cardamom, fennel seed, cumin seed, and cloves. Grind until powdery. Add turmeric and process until evenly blended. Pour spice mixture into hot oil and saute 2-3 minutes until very fragrant. Add bay leaves, Thai bird chili and curry leaves.
- 3Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add seasoned lamb to pot and stir. Cook until brown, 5-7 minutes.
- 4Combine onion, garlic and ginger in food processor. Process into puree, then add puree to pot. Cook until they start to give up moisture, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Cover and simmer 40 minutes.
- 5Skim fat from surface and discard. Stir in yogurt and simmer 5 minutes more. Serve over basmati rice with raita alongside. Garnish with chopped cilantro and scallions.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Lamb Curry - Tyler Florence
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.6
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 124.5 mg
- Sodium 126.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 30.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods