1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Barbecue Tandoori Chicken
5 hrs 25 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I had holidays in Fiji and really enjoyed the Indian style of cooking. Although the chefs would not give me the recipes for any of the food they prepared, I took great notice as to what they may have used and finally developed my own style of Indian cooking. This recipe is one of many I have developed and has been a big hit even with the East Indians in our area.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander, leaf crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 6 whole saffron strands
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Remove all skin and fat particles from chicken pieces and discard.
- 2Using a sharp knife, make several incisions about 1/4" deep in each chicken piece.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, combine tomato paste, ginger, minced garlic, pepper flakes, chili pepper, yogurt, coriander, cumin, salt curry powder, saffron strands and olive oil; mix well.
- 4Add chicken pieces to mixture and turn to coat on all sides.
- 5Cover and marinate chicken for at least 5 hours or overnight; keep in the refrigerator.
- 6Spray barbecue grill with a no-stick vegetable spray.
- 7Preheat barbecue to medium-hight heat.
- 8Place chicken pieces directly on grill.
- 9Barbecue on medium-high heat for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once.
- 10While barbecuing, baste chicken with any left over sauce.
- 11To ensure that the chicken is fully cooked, take a knife and cut into the thickest piece of chicken; there should be no pink showing.
- 12Serve hot or cold.
- 13Saffron strands may be purchased at most super markets.
- 14I do not use saffron powder.
- 15If desired, leave the skin on the chicken pieces.
- 16You may also make this recipe using all chicken breasts, (boneless or bone-in).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Barbecue Tandoori Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.7
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 547.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: