Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the recipe of the week for the third week of Sept'06 in the Thursday magazine's Slimlines column by Alva Carpenter. Very light, vegetarian and healthy indeed it is. Enjoy!
- 1 cup green lentil, cooked (moong beans)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 cm gingerroot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup water
- lemon juice, as required
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Do not discard the water in which the moong beans were cooking.
- Heat 2 tsps. of oil in a pot on low flame.
- Add cumin seeds and green chilli.
- Allow to splatter. Once the seeds stop splattering and the green chilli seeds stop popping, add ginger, garlic and onions.
- Stir-fry on medium heat until the onions are pinkish in colour and transparent in appearance.
- Add tomato/tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Fold in the spices and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add moong beans and a cup of water.
- Stir in salt to taste and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, drizzle some lemon juice and 2 tsps. oil and serve.