This is the recipe of the week for the third week of Sept'06 in the Thursday magazine's Slimlines column by Alva Carpenter. Very light, vegetarian and healthy indeed it is. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup green lentil, cooked (moong beans)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 cm gingerroot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup water
- lemon juice, as required
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1Do not discard the water in which the moong beans were cooking.
- 2Heat 2 tsps. of oil in a pot on low flame.
- 3Add cumin seeds and green chilli.
- 4Allow to splatter. Once the seeds stop splattering and the green chilli seeds stop popping, add ginger, garlic and onions.
- 5Stir-fry on medium heat until the onions are pinkish in colour and transparent in appearance.
- 6Add tomato/tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- 7Fold in the spices and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- 8Add moong beans and a cup of water.
- 9Stir in salt to taste and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- 10Garnish with cilantro, drizzle some lemon juice and 2 tsps. oil and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Usal
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 31.1 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: