Wonderful accompaniment to an Indian meal. Originally from The Healthy Cuisine of India by Bharti Kirchner. Pureed greens mixed with spiced potatoes, onions and yams. Beautiful to look at. I can make a meal of this by itself. Hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups firmly packed mustard greens or 3 1/2 cups collard greens or 3 1/2 cups chard leaves or 3 1/2 cups kale
- 2 tablespoons oil (preferably mustard oil)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled or not cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon panch phoron (Bengali 5 spice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon seeded chopped fresh hot green chili pepper (jalapeno is fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1Steam greens until done but still bright green (5-10 minutes). Puree and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in large frying pan or wok. Fry potatoes in oil about 5 minutes over medium high heat turning often.
- 3Remove potatoes from pan and fry panch phoron in the remaining oil (or add a little more, if needed) until the seeds just start to pop.
- 4Reduce heat to medium and add onion and chili and fry until onion is translucent, stirring often.
- 5Add next 4 ingredients and fry about 2 minutes.
- 6Add back in potatoes and the next 4 ingredients and bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- 8Mash a few of the yam cubes into the liquid to be part of the gravy/sauce.
- 9Stir in the greens and heat through.
- 10Remove from heat and stir in garam masala.
- 11Serve immediately to preserve the bright colours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wedding Day Greens
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.8
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 322.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: